Over the years, we’ve seen far too many property developers ignore the local community and propose developments without any regard to those who deserve it most.
We are always astounded why some developers choose to go down this path.
As a result, there is so much distrust between the community and the industry – where community consultation is seen purely as a “box-ticking” exercise that developers are forced to do.
It’s disappointing when locals don’t have their voices heard. Too often they have to wait for the Public Advertising period and that’s when their objections flow!
Time and time again, we’re seeing sensitive DAs end up in Court – when it could have been avoided with authentic and personal engagement and communication.
So, what can we do as an industry to reconnect ourselves with the public to ensure better development outcomes?
Some Super Simple Tips!
- Recognise that property development doesn’t happen in isolation. There are numerous stakeholders who are impacted along the way.
- Engage with the community early on to create open and honest dialogue.
- Trust is formed when you go over and above your statutory obligations.
- Better understand community concerns and potential reasons for objections before they happen.
- Share the benefits of the project and put the right facts in the public domain early on. This will ensure that people are not misled by conjecture and ill-formed, vocal residents.
- By consulting early and gaining community input, you will generate more support letters than objections. This means a much smoother DA process.
The Proof is in the Pudding!
At one of our recent projects in the highly vocal area of New Farm, after a solid consultation process, 94% of the Public Submissions were letters of support!
Community means everything to us.
Bluebird Property Partners is a boutique residential development management and advisory company, based in Brisbane. We provide a dedicated and personalised service to developers and landowners who may not have the time, expertise or resources to deliver their projects.
We have extensive experience, networks and the resources to manage all or any part of the development process.
We are your ‘one stop shop’.